‘‘The Awakening,’ is an on- going youth focused civic enlightenment program aimed at reducing the political apathy of young people in the South East. The main objective of the project is to consolidate Nigeria’s democracy and political governance through greater citizen’s awareness and engagement on governance issues, improved voter education and guidance, representation of women in the political space and service delivery. The project provides a forum for radio and social media discussions to positively provoke young people in the South East into action and it is the first of its kind in the region.
To deepen democracy and create an open society in Nigeria through mass media education and participation
To educate youth and youth-led civil society organizations in the South East States on good governance and active citizenship in Nigeria.
To establish a radio program as a platform for creating awareness and communicating youth views and concern on issues of good governance.
To encourage youth and youth-led civil society in the South East states to participate in the good governance process.
Build a network amongst youth-led civil society organization (CSOs) in the South East of Nigeria.
Issue a monthly policy advocacy brief developed from the deliberations of the youth panel in the radio program.
The live radio broadcast aims at informing, motivating and empowering youth to become active citizens. Youth can change the world by becoming actively, meaningfully and substantially involved through political parties and beyond. We aim to improve the participation of young people in democratic decision making processes.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
CALL: 08068714956, 08109139902
ABIA STATE:- PACE SETTER FM, 103.5FM UMUAHIA
ANAMBRA STATE: PURITY FM, 102.5 AWKA
EBONYI STATE: UNITY FM, 101.5 ABAKALIKI
ENUGU STATE: COAL CITY FM, 92.9, ENUGU
IMO STATE: HEARTLAND FM, 100.5 OWERRI
- Good governance is, among other things, participatory, transparent and accountable. It is also effective and equitable and promotes the rule of law. Good governance ensures that political, social and economic priorities are based on broad consensus in society and that the voices of the poorest and the most vulnerable are heard in decision-making over the allocation of resources.
- We are passionate about empowering youths to get involved in governance by holding government accountable. The youths need to be fully integrated into the 3 aspects of governance and be given the opportunity to get involved.
- Political governance is the process of decision-making to formulate policy
- Economic governance includes decision-making processes that affect a country’s economic activities and its relationships with other economies. It clearly has major implications for equity, poverty and quality of life.
- Administrative governance is the system of policy implementation. Encompassing all three, good governance defines the processes and structures that guide political and socio-economic relationships.
- Civic Education is an important component of education that cultivates citizens to participate in the public life to use their rights and discharge their responsibilities with the necessary knowledge and skills.
- Civic Education or Citizenship Education is very vital for every citizen and the general public for multifarious reasons, among which are: It enhances people’s capacity to understand their rights, roles and duties as citizens and that they might respect that of others. Furthermore, it creates awareness among citizens on the duties of the government to them, as well as their obligations as citizens to the government.
- Our civic education program helps create awareness, teach right values, right attitudes and behavior that are acceptable to the society where individual lives.
- We encourage the general public to become involved in the political process and the issues that affect the community. It takes many forms—from individual volunteerism to organizational involvement to electoral participation.
- We engage youth to make a difference in the civic life of their communities and develop the combination of knowledge, skills, values and motivation to effect the desired change. It means promoting the quality of life in a community, through both political and non-political processes