2019 Elections: Voter Sensitization
South Saharan Social Development Organisation (SSDO) in collaboration with Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) through the Voter Education and Publicity Department, conducted a 2-day voter sensitization campaign in Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State. This was targeted at enlightening community members on voter education and the basic knowledge required to enable them participate conscientiously and actively in the forthcoming general elections.
As part of the SSDO’s multifaceted approach in carrying out the 2-day voter sensitization, Churches, Markets and Motor parks were visited in major communities within Awgu Local Government Area. These activities were carried out on Sunday 10thand Wednesday 13thFebruary 2019 in the following locations:
- Michael’s Catholic Church Amoji
- Mary’s Catholic Church Onoli
- Isuawa community
- Ihe Community
- Amoli market
- Amoli motor park
- Owelli Court market
- Awgu-Nenwe motor park
- Agbada Nenwe market
- Mgbowo market
- Mgbowo Junction / motor park
The community members were sensitized on:
- the power of their vote and the need for them to come out enormously and vote.
- the need for them to desist from vote trading, thuggery, hate speech, electoral violence and all forms of electoral malpractice.
- the seven steps to vote casting.
- the use of cellphones or carrying of huge amount of money within the polling unit.
In addition, IEC materials were distributed to enhance voter education and awareness of the SSDO’s “The Awakening program” was made with special reference to the February 15th2019 edition which will focus on “Voter education” with guest speakers from INEC Nigeria.